Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Flu Season

So I have been sick for about 2 weeks now. Shortly after my birthday I started to lose my voice which is usually a sure bet that I am going to get sick soon. Per usual, I kept on keeping on and then, half a month later, I crashed. I got about 3 hours a sleep Friday night and worked all day on Saturday with 5-11 year-olds. Needless to say, when I got out of that cold, dry room I was coughing like the Marlboro Man. Sunday, I could not function. Monday, I slept until 3. ( I usually get far less sleep so if my body was able to sleep this long, I was clearly not okay.) Tuesday I was reluctant to call in, but did so anyways and am so happy that I did because that extra day did wonders for my immune system.

Today is Wednesday. I took a Cold and Sinus/Stuffy Nose/Sore Throat something-or-other at 6 a.m. and the rest of the morning was smmmooooooooooooth sailing. I was an outsider looking in as I maintained an internal dialogue (much more so than usual). I was somehow juggling 20 tasks (more so than usual) while leading a multi-step, hands-on activity for my kids. In the middle of giving instructions, I would pause for a solid 30 seconds, lose my train of thought, and one of my aces would pull through with a "Ms. Hinkell, you were just saying..." In between classes was equally as blurry. I had kids hugging me and welcoming me back, asking "Ms. Hinkell, where were Monday and Tuesday?" (ummmm, would "the moon" be an appropriate answer?)

I almost reached my breaking point when, during Period 3 (my largest class), at least 8 students were asking me questions at once. Three things were very wrong with that situation:
#1: I DO NOT respond to a student unless they have raised their hand first.
#2: I had already answered the question they were asking 3 times before.
#3: They were all asking the very SAME question.

HEH? That's okay though, it only added to the absurdity of my day.

Anyhow, for those that care, I am feeling much better now. Well enough, in fact, to go to a Bruins game tomorrow night with Big Dave. Go. Team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home