Sunday, November 06, 2005

Deep Thoughts...

Grades closed on Friday and I gave my students the opportunity to assess themselves on their classroom behavior. I reminded them that their "Classroom Participation, Cooperation, and Respect" is worth 25% of their grade and that I take this component very seriously.

When they were done rating themselves using the behavior rubric I gave them, I said that they could flip their paper over and use the back as a comment card. I said that they could tell me anything they thought I should know about their performance in my class so far this year. Some students let me know of a personal or family issue that had caused them to be a little unfocused. Other students apologized for being disrepectful and promised to try harder in Term 2. Some students identified problem areas and set some goals for the rest of the year. Several students said that my class was their favorite because I made "learning fun" (yay...) .

Overall, I was impressed with the profound comments and moved by their sincerity. After reading a comment by a student who said that my class is the only class they have ever really cared about, I came to this student comment:

"I think lunch should be $2.75 for an extra slice of pizza instead of $3.00."

I LOVE middle-schoolers...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home