Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Club 312

Today was the first day of Club 312. Earlier in the year, I asked kids to stay on Tuesday afternoons for after-school help. Two students came one Tuesday so far. Last week, I started calling it Club 312 and told kids that they had to sign-up for it. I also said that if we worked for a solid 30 minutes, then I would bring them all down to the gym and we could play basketball with the remaining time.

The change in name and venue did the trick. 38 kids signed-up and almost all of them came. GIMMICKS, gimmicks, gimmicks.

The kids worked on the night's homework for a solid 20 (not bad for 12-year-olds). We then went down to the gym. At first I was just kind of monitoring a few of the games and passing basketballs to kids when they went out of bounds. Then one of my fav kids started talking trash. It was on. Boys versus girls. I scored the first 8 points and it was all over from there. After 40 minutes of defending smelly 6-ft-tall kids, talking trash to adolescent boys, and taking jumshots in heels- I walked away from the court sweating and red-faced. My kids walked away thinking I was the coolest teacher ever.

Let's see if they actually hand in their homework tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger ehinks21 said...

Totally going to refer to your blog as a guide if/when I teach...

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home