Thursday, August 04, 2005

Several new words (when spoken in succession) have entered my vocabulary this week: "I don't have anything to do."

I have spent the last 5 days bidding on (and winning!) my first ebay items, treating email as if it were instant messenger, scanning through craigslist ads, and reading every article on redsox.com.

After the hurricane of being a VISTA at a D.C. non-profit and living in Northern Virginia with family for a year, my last week was strangely relaxing. No complaints here though, I definitely needed this brief time to catch my breath. This past year has come and gone...

Awkward first days of work sitting in the lobby, at the desk right next to the frequently visited company printer...

The first raucous happy hour with $.50 tacos and a waitress who basically threatened my life...

Saying good-bye to a new co-worker/friend who got the boot... (Has anyone even found out if VISTAs are allowed to be fired?)

Community resources, best practices, collaboration, OH MY!

Watching my little nephew/god-son attempt his first steps across the living room floor and then slamming into the couch with record force...

Listening as my niece read her first real chapter books (Junie B. Jones, all), falling asleep in the process, and having her tuck me in...

Halloween in Boston with the Girls and some new friends, one of which dressed as a cat to accompany my dog costume...

Christmas in Virginia with no snow but a very-pregnant sister who couldn't travel...

A 23rd birthday with great new friends at our favorite Mexican spot on the Hill...

The arrival of a very sweet little niece that further demonstrates the fact that Hinkells produce attractive offspring (ummm, maybe I won't adopt)...

Seizing the books and sweating through spring wiht my office-mates...

Spending time with the family and watching the little peanuts grow, the real reason I came to D.C. in the first place...

Nights out with the coolest class of VISTAs ever, never catching the last train home, and always ending up on the short couch...

Road-trips to Detroit, Boston, and even the 'burbs of VA...

Long lunch talks that usually left Sam blushing (or wishing he were born a woman)...

Camden Yards and the Red Sox- need I say more?

Living through a tornado, listening to live music, enjoying (and sweating profusely because of) deliriouslye, delirisouly laughing because of the heat, spending an entire weekend with 3 very special friends, all of which made this year's Falcon Ridge a memorable one...

SCHLEPPING.

The sheer ABSURDITY of it all.

Oh goodness...

Even these snapshots of this past year can't do it justice. Thanks to all of you who contributed to it. I had a fabulous time and learned a hell of a lot more about myself than I ever thought possible.

Now I am ready to teach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zimmy said...

It was an amazing year and there are not enough words to appropriately describe it...
I'm gonna miss you!!!

4:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home