Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I was up until 2 a.m. last night doing preparations for the school year which is very strange because it wasn't entirely necessary. (I can't wait to see how late I stay up when I actually have more pressing tasks to tend to.)

Today is going to be my first real work day in my classroom. I have purchased supplies including a radio/c.d. player, maps, and wait for it... a glass candy jar filled with jolly ranchers for my kids. How teacher-y am I? Anyhow, I knew that I was going to end up paying out of pocket for supplies and materials. Sure, I will have unlimited use of paper and pencils but what student (or teacher or parent) wants to walk into a classroom with blank walls? President Bush signed the Teacher Tax Relief Act that is supposed to alleviate some of the financial burden on teachers. Actually new teachers spend more of their own money on supplies than veteran teachers. On average new teachers spend about $700 on supplies for their classroom in the first year alone! New teachers do not have the network of resources or even physical supplies that veteran teachers have established over their years of teaching. As this article points out, that becomes a further burden when you consider that new teachers are on the lowest step in the pay scale. No wonder teachers are often accused of hoarding seemingly trivial supplies like notepads and pens. Any thoughts?

Anyhow, I am going to take before and after photos so everyone can see the wonderful progress I have made. (Talk to me again in a couple of hours and I probably won't sound so cheerful.)

Wish me luck!

2 Comments:

Blogger ehinks21 said...

Random thoughts here...

I can't tell you how many times I have choked on Jolly Ranchers when they were square. The rectangle ones should be no problem though. Grab some salt water taffy... Btw, are you CPR/First Aid trained? Do they offer that at the school? I would look into it.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Zimmy said...

Can we get an update, please?

1:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home