Friday, June 03, 2005

I Heart Pedestrians

With the last post I was simply trying to supply my readers with some important (I thought) background information. An avid follower (who shall go unnamed) of The First 180 claimed that it "wasn't funny". Right. It's all fun and games until Alyssa writes a boring post.

Anyhow, I have to share something with you. On my way into work today, as I was expertly maneuvering our company car (a Toyota Corolla that sits about 1.25 feet off the ground) through wretched D.C. traffic, I had a less than friendly encounter with a pedestrian. I was the last car in the queue to make it through a yellow-turned-red light. Just as I was squeezing Adam (the car) onto the block so as to not cover the crossing walk, a woman, dressed in heels and a navy blue skirt suit, literally sprang in front of my car. She then had the audacity to turn to me, lift her umbrella and shake her head at me with a disgruntled you-could-have-hit-me look on her face.

Now I know, pedestrians have the right away. I also know what it is like to be walking around in D.C. when the rain is coming down, up, and sideways. Usually, I try my best to give pedestrians, like this pleasant peach, a break because they are outside getting soaked and struggling with inside-out umbrellas while I am in my nice warm car listening to D.C. 101. BUT the nerve of her to look at me so accusingly. Like it is so absurd to think that I didn't see her given the 15-passenger van that she was walking out from in front of. Or the fact that it was pouring rain and the Corolla's wind shield wipers only have two settings, really fast and wicked fast. Did she not notice the 3 people waiting on the other side of the street or the 2 people behind her waiting until I had at least come to a rolling stop? Whatever, I am sure that she is a very, very important person with very important things to do.

In other news, today is a FABULOUS day. The Red Sox beat the O's (#1 team in the AL East) when our beloved Papi hit a 3-run walk off homer. To quote the big man, "I don't think about the next guy. I always think about 'OK, I got to get the job done.' I believe in myself; I believe I can do it. That's all I put in my mind." Wow- if that doesn't inspire you on this rainy day, I'm not sure if anything could.

Also, the Yankees lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home