Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Wishin and Hopin

Let me give you the current status of my job search...

Job Fairs attended: 1
Positions applied to: 20
Copies made: 120
Postage paid: $40
Emails Sent: 15
Internet job searches completed: Lots
Hours Spent on Above: Many

Interviews Granted: 0
Job Offers: 0

Those that know me know that I am an optimist. You ask, "Is the Job Glass have full?" I answer (with a smile), "But of course..."

Friends, I refuse to panic. I keep reminding myself that it is only May 18th @ 6:39 pm and at least one contact told me that he would get in touch with me mid to late May. (The Ides of May came and passed- still no word.) School doesn't get out for another month in most districts and I have actually heard of teachers who were hired all the way up to the day before school started in September. By this reasoning, I have many moons to go.

Still, a mentor of mine told me to be assertive. I like her style and have devised the following GP (game plan for those not in the know) to land myself a dream teaching job in the district of my choice (half full, half full, half full):

  1. Continue to check Massachusetts DOE website, school district websites, and Boston Globe Classifieds daily
  2. Continue to send out packets with cover letter, resume, copy of licensure, and letters of recommendation
  3. Continue to spend Americorps*VISTA stipend on expensive paper and postage
  4. Follow up each sent packet with an email to the principal of the school and/or the HR director of district
  5. Follow up each email sent with a phone call
  6. Be assertive
  7. Keep smiling

Also, if anyone knows of any Social Studies openings in any 5-8 classroom somewhere in Eastern Massachusetts, kindly notify me.


(Happy Birthday Alex and Julia!)

1 Comments:

Blogger AHMoore said...

job or no job.... Boston will be my home next year. Go sox...

10:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home