Thursday, May 26, 2005

Title I

I realized that I have used the term "Title I" several times without an explanation. Well, that was very un-teachery of me...

"Title I schools" refers to those schools that receive funds under Title I of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA). Most of you are probably more familair with the No Child Left Behind Act, which is essentially an updated version of the originial ESEA.

Title I is officially called "Improving the Academic Achievement of the Disadvantaged" and its main purpose is to improve the academic achievement of children of low-income families. Currently, about half (55 percent) of U.S. public schools receive funds under Title I.

Title I is certainly not a new concept in American education. In fact, its history dates back to 1965 when it became the cornerstone of Johnson's "War on Poverty". It was signed into law on April 9, 1965: "In recognition of the special educational needs of low-income families...Congress hereby declares it to be the policy of the United States to provide financial assistance."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home